Follow Me

Thursday, December 6, 2012

Pregnant? Who the Heck Knows?

Today I woke up feeling like last night was a bizarre dream and wondering what would be next for me. (You can catch up on last night's craziness by clicking here.) I called my doctor's office to see if they had received my ultrasound pictures from the ER yet and just to make sure they knew what was going on. The receptionist told me that there were no doctors in the office today and they wouldn't be able to read anything until tomorrow (Friday). I wished that wasn't the case, but what could I do. So I got up and poured myself some cereal and watched a little On Demand until I got a phone call from my doctor's office about an hour later. It was a different lady and she said the radiologist reviewed my pictures and still thinks the blockage is an ectopic pregnancy. 

I wasn't sure why they were so sure that's what it was when my blood test was negative for pregnancy, but the lady asked if I could come back to the hospital today for another blood test. She said the doctor believes I am not very far in the pregnancy and the hormone just wasn't detected yet. So she sent my lab request to the hospital and told me I would also need to come in to the doctor's office tomorrow to speak with him about options.

I called Crockett to update him and quickly got dressed. I headed back down to the hospital and when I got to the parking lot my phone rang again. This time it was an ultrasound tech calling to ask me if I could come in today to do another ultrasound. The radiologist who looked at my pictures last night wanted another look. Thankfully I was already at the hospital and wouldn't have to make a second trip into town.

I registered in outpatient and then had my blood drawn for the third time in 7 days. (You should see the lovely shades of blue and purple my arms are.) The lab tech told me she was personally going to go to the back and test my blood and that the doctor should have the results this afternoon. (She could see on my form the concern was ectopic pregnancy and she could tell I was anxious for answers.) Next I headed back to ultrasound thinking I'm going to have the layout of this place down really quick.

There was a new ultrasound tech today and a med student with her. They did another ultrasound and told me my uterus is tilted to the back which can make it difficult to conceive and carry a baby. Before she let me leave she asked the radiologist to look at my scans to make sure he didn't need any more. She came back in and told me that the doctor actually believes there is no blockage and that last night what appeared to be a baby in my Fallopian tube was actually fluid in my intestines. Say what?? Talk about confusing. So she had the scans sent over to my doctor and tomorrow I have an appointment to go talk through all of this. Right now I'm thinking no one knows what exactly is going on. I'm not even worried anymore because it's all so crazy. Hopefully we'll have some answers tomorrow and thankfully Crockett is off this weekend. No more calling the station and feeling like a crazy obsessive wife. He's got a job to do for cryin out loud! Silly doctors and techs gettin me all worked up.

Here's what I do know, however. Jesus loves me. I know saying it like that sounds juvenile, but the God who created all life not only knows me; he deeply loves and cares for me. And that is everything I need in life so it really doesn't matter how this turns out. Pregnant, not pregnant, unable to ever become pregnant... The God of the universe loves me. What else do I need? 

Nothing.

"Praise the Lord.
Praise the Lord, my soul.
I will praise the Lord all my life;
I will sing praise to my God as long as I live.
Do not put your trust in princes,
in human beings, who cannot save.
When their spirit departs, they return to the ground;
on that very day their plans come to nothing.
Blessed are those whose help is the God of Jacob,
whose hope is in the Lord their God."

Psalm 146:1-5



No comments: