Follow Me

Saturday, September 22, 2012

Book Review: The Host


Let's go ahead and get this out of the way. Yes, to answer your question, I did buy and read this book just because Stephenie Meyer also wrote the Twilight Series. I'm not ashamed. I happen to really like that series and when I was finished I wanted more. What I found was The Host.

It has NOTHING to do with the twilight books, vampires, or werewolves. It does, however, have a whole lot to do with aliens.

Don't let that discourage you!!

I often find myself getting slightly defensive when I'm telling people about this book so hear me out. (I haven't even gotten my sister to read it yet for goodness sake.)

This book is AMAZING. Seriously one of my favorites. Even if you did not like Twilight or even if you became someone who hated it because it was suddenly the cool thing to do you might like this one so I highly recommend you give it a try. I once met someone who absolutely refused to read the Twilight series saying that there is no way it was anything other than garbage because she had heard that a 100+ yr old vampire fell in love with a teenager and that is just deplorable. This infuriated me! Because while yes, technically that is what happened, if she had actually read the book she would have an understanding of that relationship.
I can understand how different story lines can seem unattractive to your imagination, but if a book is wildly popular I'd say there's probably a reason why and if someone you know personally encourages you to give it a try knowing your taste in books, you should probably listen.

I say give The Host until chapter 4. If you aren't hooked by then put it down and call me crazy.

So here's the basic idea: Set in the future, Earth has become inhabited by an alien species. A species whose entire existence is to take other species' bodies and use them as their hosts. They choose their host species and planet carefully and then they set up a peaceful overtaking. Most of the time the hosts never see it coming and once a soul, as these creatures are called, is inserted into it's host body the original person is erased.

But what happens when a human saw the invasion coming?

Melanie, a rebel, is caught and upon insertion isn't erased.


Wanderer, the soul inserted into Melanie's body, awakens to find she isn't alone in her mind. Not even close. Melanie is just as present in her head as Wanderer is. Melanie's human emotions are stronger than any other specie's capacity for feeling Wanderer has ever felt. She soon finds herself conflicted between what she knows to be truth and what Melanie feels. The feelings are so deep and strong. Do they belong just to Melanie? Or to the body itself meaning Wanderer too?

The journey Melanie's mind takes Wanderer on leaves her conflicted about which species she belongs to and questioning all she's known about right and wrong. Is the love she feels for Jared her own or just the feelings Melanie has for him? Are they separable anymore or are they both doomed to share one body and one love forever?

This book will have you guessing to the VERY end. You won't be able to put it down until the mystery is solved. It's adventurous, romantic, suspenseful, and fun. I dare you to read this book and not love it.

No comments: