Follow Me

Saturday, September 29, 2012

My adventure in the great, wide somewhere


I asked for adventure didn't I?

Well, we made it to Michigan. Praise Jesus for his protection over our 3 day journey. We left Saturday and pulled into town on Monday afternoon. We stayed in hotels from Saturday night until Friday when we moved into our home. We were pretty tired of eating out and not having any of our own things, but to be honest not too much has changed. We and the dogs and our 2 car loads of stuff made it to Michigan but the rest of our things have not. The coast guard "moved us" and the moving company will not be delivering our furniture and boxes until Oct. 9. They picked everything up from Denton last Thursday so I'm hoping it gets here early. I can't see how they would drag that trip out to almost 2 weeks, but maybe I'm wrong. We'll see. 

So we have TX summer clothes, essential bathroom toiletries, our computers, a few books & DVDs, a file of important documents, and dog food. When we got here we had to purchase a pot, an ironing board, a mattress, and a small tv, you know... the essentials, to hold us over until our real stuff arrives. I am so excited for our couches and router to get here. Right now I am sitting on the floor to be on the internet and my back hurts after a while of this. I'm looking forward to having wireless internet so I can use my laptop from my comfy couch. 

Crockett has been working a lot, leaving me alone most days and many nights. The transition has been difficult at best, but I am trying very hard to look on the bright side and find what God has for me here. I miss my family and friends. I miss my community in Denton. My church, my sisters, my job. My house. I miss having a multitude of restaurants at my fingertips (mainly Chick-fil-A and Whataburger) and WalMart 5 minutes away. I miss sushi and going to the movies. I miss Texas... so much.



Oscoda, Michigan...

My new home.

It's weird to think I'm going to be living here for the next 4 years at least. It definitely does NOT feel like home yet. It's just so odd to think ahead with this place in mind. My first teaching job will probably be here. Our first child will probably be born here. The idea of my child not being a Texan hurts my heart. Let me tell you about this place we call home...

Oscoda is home to 900 people. (There were more people in my high school.) We have one K Mart,  McDonalds,  KFC/Taco Bell, Burger King, and Subway. There are no coffee shops. The main attraction (that houses the RedBox) is Family Dollar. There is one movie theater that shows one movie once a week. (Currently showing The Odd Life of Timothy Green) There is no vet. There is one bowling alley. (We haven't been in, but it is called something or another bowling lane so I wouldn't doubt if it literally has 1 lane.) There is a tiny put put place that looks to have about 6 putting greens. It takes about 10 minutes going 25- 35 mph to drive through the entire town. The nearest city is over an hour and a half away.

And the bright side (I told you I'm trying...)

There is a gorgeous lake (Lake Huron) visible from "downtown" and it is breathtaking to be standing on the shore with your husband as the moon is rising. The sky here is INCREDIBLE. I know this sounds silly, but I am obsessed with the sky here. I don't know if it's because we are hundreds of miles from a city or what, but something makes the clouds here stunning. (Besides God of course) Fall is approaching and the leaves are starting to change colors. My favorite is this bright shade of red that I have never seen in nature before. It is unbelievable. (I think one of the bushes in our front yard is going to be this color!) Christmas trees grow wild here and they are everywhere. (Including 3 in my back yard.) The high temperature has been in the low 60s since we got here and I have taken up hot tea. There are black as night squirrels (Crockett calls them demon squirrels.) and I think they are so neat. Chipmunks live here too. 



This is the red tree I was talking about. They aren't this red all over yet; I found this picture online, but I will post one I see as Fall progresses.


Right now I'm adjusting to life away from everything I know and love, but I am taking refuge in my God who has never left my side. It is incredibly comforting to know that he is still God. He will always be God no matter where I am or how I feel. I am grieving my losses right now, but I know that right around the corner are better days. God has something in store for me here and he is going to use me in a big way. There is a reason for everything and in every season of my life I will praise the God who gives and takes away. I can't wait to plug into a church here and worship in community again.

The past 3 years of my life have been pure joy and happiness. My "trials" were nothing compared to this. I am running completely on faith right now and I can say it is well with my soul. I am growing with my Father and I am so thankful for that. 
"In Christ alone I place my trust and find my glory in the power of the cross. In every victory let it be said of me my source of strength, my source of hope is Christ alone."

This week I'm taking my camera out to get some pictures of this place. I'll have them up soon.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Becca, you have an amazing outlook on things, I pray God sends you friends quickly, friendship is so important when you are away from all those you love. When we lived in Georgia, my heart was much like you described, however it was during those times that we completely relied on Christ alone. We did meet wonderful friends in the church we attended and they became family. Just know all of us back home are thinking about & praying for you sweetheart..love you!